INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE EAST AFRICAN RIFT SYSTEM
The goals for the ESARSWG Conference include.
• Highlighting the contribution of geoscience along the EARS
• Commemoration of 25th anniversary of the establishment of the ESARSWG and its contribution in earthquake monitoring and
seismic hazards in the countries along the EARS .
The Department of Geology, University of Dar es Salaam in collabora�tion with the Eastern and Southern African Seismological Working
Group (ESARSWG) is organizing an International conference on East African Rift System (EARS). The conference will be held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania targeting all geoscientists and researchers working on the EARS.
Relevant topics includes but not limited to the following research themes:
• Active tectonics
• EARS structures
• Induced seismicity
• Ground motion and site effects
• Earth resources along the EARS
• Geohazards along the EARS
• Related geophysical issues and methods
• Education, outreach and communication
SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACT
All abstracts for either oral orposterpresentation will be reviewed and accepted by the scientific committee, and successful candidates will be noti�fied. Please indicate your preference when submitting. Abstracts are to be submitted by e-mail as an attached file in Word format to the Scientific com�mittee at the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Abstract acceptance notification: 10th September 2018
• Submission of full paper: 30th September 2018
CONFERENCE VENUE: The conference will be held in the New University Library Conference Hall, which is found at the University of Dar es Salaam, Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere campus, Dar es Salaam City, Tanzania.
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS: The accepted papers will be published in a special issue of Journal of African Earth Sciences.
LANGUAGES: English will be official language of the conference
TRAVEL: Dar es Salaam city is served by Julius Nyerere International Airport
(JNIA) where the University of Dar es Salaam is approximately 16 km from JNIA.
The local organizing committee will arrange transport for foreign participants. Kindly send your confirmed itinerary to the local organizing committee.
ACCOMODATION: There is a variety of choice for accommodation in Dar es salaam. However, the LOC has made arrangements with the following Hotels:
(a) University Research Flat at UDSM main campus: US$ 40
(b) Millenium Seashells: US$ 75
(c) Safina: US$ 50 - 70
The participant can either apply through the Secretary of the LOC at a discounted rate or directly to the Hotels.
REGISTRATION: There is no official application form to be filled. However, the applications for
participation should be sent, by email to the Local Organising Committee via email@example.com or
firstname.lastname@example.org before 30th August 2018.
The registration fees are as follows;
• US $ 150 for foreign participants
• TShs 150,000/- for a Tanzanian
• US $ 50 for foreign student registration:
• TShs 50,000/- for Tanzanian student registration
The events registration fees will cover costs of reception, events materials, coffee/tea breaks, lunch during the scientific sessions and icebreak and conference dinner. Participants are required to pay regis�tration fees through bank transfer before 30th July 2018 (see the bank transfer address below).
Account Name: Department of Geology University of Dar es Salaam
Bank: National Bank of Commerce (NBC)
Account number: 012105014385
Swift Code: NLCBTZTX
Branch Code: 671512
VISA AND INVITATION LETTERS
Visa will be required for international visitors. Please check with the respective local Embassy
for details. If you will need invitation letter please write to the Local Organising Committee via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
CURRENCY: Local currency is in Tanzania shillings (Tshs) at a foreign exchange rate of US$ 1=2200 TShs which can be exchanged from either banks and forex bureaus at JNIA airport and many other locations in Dar es Salaam city.
CONFERENCE CONTACT ADDRESS:
LOCAL ORGANISING COMMITTEE
1. Dr. Elisante Mshiu UDSM (email@example.com)
2. Dr. Richard Wambura Ferdinand UDSM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3. Mr. Ernest Mulaya UDSM (email@example.com)
4. Dr. Emmanuel Kazimoto UDSM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Dr. Kenneth Lupogo UDSM (email@example.com)
6. Prof. Hudson Nkotagu UDSM (firstname.lastname@example.org )
7. Dr. Isaac Marobhe UDSM (email@example.com)
8. Dr. Gabriel Mulibo UDSM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
9. Dr. Elifuraha Saria ARU (email@example.com)
10. Dr. Michael Msabi UDOM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
11. Mr. Gabriel Mbogoni GST (Gabriel.email@example.com)
1. Dr. Emmanuel Kazimoto Economic Geology and Petrology
2. Dr. Cassy Mtelela Sedimentology
3. Dr. Kenneth Lupogo Engineering Geology
4. Prof. Hudson Nkotagu Hydrogeology
5. Dr. Isaac Marobhe Geophysics
6. Dr. Elifuraha Saria Space Geodesy
7. Dr. Elisante Mshiu Remote Sensing
8. Dr. Richard Wambura Ferdinand Seismology
9. Prof. Atalay Ayele Seismology
10. Prof. Ghebrebrhan Wondem Geophysics/Seismology
11. Prof. Ray Durham Seismology
12. Prof. Andrew Nyblade Seismology
13. Prof. Cindy Ebinger Seismology
14. Prof. Bernard Le Gall Structural Geology
15. Dr. Christel Tibery Seismology
16. Prof. Mustapha Meghraoui Paleoseimology/Tectonics
17. Dr. Karen F Volcanology
18. Prof. Li Li Seismology
19. Cilia Nyamweru Volcanology
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF FILE