|DIAGEO JOBS TANZANIA|
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 20%. SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002, and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. 51% of the company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi.
SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brands in the portfolio include Tusker Lager, Guinness, Kibo Gold, Pilsner and Senator. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Bailey’s and Captain Morgan.
Purpose of role
To deliver breakthrough business performance on the brand category while building the equity and future value of the category
To develop a brand strategy that supports delivery of the marketing strategy and that ensures that the brand is firmly established among the most aspirational category in Tanzania.
Portfolio specific; but deals with other functions such as Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations and Procurement.
The role is responsible for activities in a specific portfolio, beer or spirit or both
Leadership Responsibilities and Decision Making Rights
The role will require the incumbent to develop broad cross functional working relationships across commercial, business support and supply community interfaces. Furthermore, this role will need to develop strong relationships with the Global Brand Team and Regional team. The role also requires leadership of key external partners, specifically agencies.
- Development of the brand strategy in alignment with the marketing strategy; includes leading the annual GAME Plan as well as the annual Pricing Strategy.
- Development and implementation of insight based activity to achieve long-term sustained growth; incorporates the development, implementation and evaluation of strong creative campaigns and communication channel strategies for the brand ensuring optimal investment of A&P resources to deliver business results for the brand.
- Development of brand innovation & renovation plans in relation to the navigate process, including line extensions, working with innovation project managers and the global brand teams to deliver timeously.
- Ownership and monitoring of holistic brand performance, initiating interventions where necessary ; this will require the tracking of consumer and commercial business performance on a regular basis including P&L management, consumer tracking and share tracking while ensuring M&E is a core component of the brand strategy and plan.
- Building strong relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders specifically brand owners, media, advertising, RM/ digital, PR, promoter and specialist agencies. Be the Global Brand Team point of contact in-market and manage timeous and accurate deliverables and build great relationships with them.
Qualifications And Experience Required
- Appropriate tertiary marketing qualification – degree
- Post graduate degree an advantage.
- Computer literacy: Word, Excel, Power-point, MS Project
- High cognitive ability.
- Minimum of 3-4 years Brand Management experience with previously demonstrated success within this environment.
- Experience working with and successfully managing agencies / strategic partner relationships.
- Demonstrated success in a demanding, complex business environment.
- Strategic penetration: minimum requirement is baseline
- Consumer insight: minimum requirement is developing
- Motivating and inspiring agencies and cross-functional teams: developing
- Marketing judgement: minimum requirement is developing
- Commerciality: minimum requirement is developing
- Excellence in execution: minimum requirement is experienced
- Portfolio profitability: minimum requirement is developing
- Innovation: minimum requirement is baseline
Barriers to success in role
- Inability to grasp complexity of market (multiple channels, languages, cultural differences, norms and practices)
- Inability to influence people across all the levels in the organization.
- Inability to balance multiple priorities and work to a series of tight deadlines.
- Inability to make rapid decisions and respond quickly to organization change.
- Lack of technology literacy and interest.
- Lack of leadership capability
- Lack of personal drive.