Job Title: Research and Innovation Hub Coordinator
Sector: Research & Development
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
IRC’s Research and Innovation (R&I) Unit brings together a multi-disciplinary team combining IRC’s commitment to rigorous research and evidence-based programs with new approaches to designing, testing and scaling breakthrough interventions for the humanitarian and development sector. The Research, Evaluation and Learning team helps the IRC serve people affected by crisis with the most effective and efficient programs; designing and rigorously testing interventions, supporting the IRC in interpreting and applying existing research to develop high-quality, evidence-based programs, and conducting cost efficiency and cost effectiveness analyses to ensure the best use of our resources. The Airbel Center - IRC's Innovation Lab - aims to design, nurture, and scale new humanitarian interventions and delivery models by applying best practices from the behavioral sciences, human-centered design, rapid iteration, and multi-disciplinary problem-solving in the humanitarian context.
The Tanzania Research and Innovation Hub is a collaboration between the IRC, Innovations for Poverty Action, and the Behavourial Insights Teams. This Hub aims to enable adaptive project design, small-scale pilot studies, and larger-scale impact evaluations in Tanzanian refugee camps and surrounding host communities to improve outcomes for crisis-affected populations and create more impact for every dollar spent on aid.
The Research and Innovation Hub is an exciting initiative that will work in close coordination with IRC’s operational work in Tanzania and globally. IRC in Tanzania works in the sectors of health, education, protection and empowerment to provide humanitarian support to hundreds of thousands of refugees and Tanzanian host communities.
- Based in IRC offices in Tanzania, the Tanzania Hub Coordinator will be responsible to coordinate with Hub partners on:
Tanzania Hub Launch
- Coordinate with Hub partners to ensure the development of:
- Tanzania Hub Strategy and priority focus areas, to be reviewed on an annual basis
- Overall business development strategy, in collaboration with Research & Innovation Business Development staff and BD teams with other Hub Tanzania partners
- Tanzania Hub communication strategy, including communicating the Hub launch with all relevant stakeholders
- Develop and manage clear protocols and processes for pipeline idea generation and decision-making
- Ensure clarity on roles and responsibilities and involvement of each partner along the pipeline process / project lifecycle
Tanzania Hub Coordination
- Convening of the Tanzania Hub Steering Committee for regular meetings including:
- An annual priority setting meeting
- Quarterly steering committee meetings to check in on advances in year-long strategy
- Project and / or business development opportunities – specific meetings, as required
- Driving growth of the Hub portfolio: Working with global and national programme development and grants colleagues, together with consortium partners, the coordinator will gather necessary inputs, develop concept notes and proposals; proactively pursue business development opportunities aligned with the Hub priorities, and liaising with potential donors and partners.
- Proactively develop and manage strong partnerships with academics, consultants and other organizations that conduct related (design) research and programming; policymakers, practitioners, and relevant Tanzanian actors, including UNHCR
- In collaboration with the IRC Tanzania country program and other Tanzania Hub, represent the Tanzania Hub to external donors and other stakeholders. Respond to field queries regarding the Hub and present findings in actionable terms.
- Maintain and develop relationships with relevant government and other institutions, including ensuring relevant regulatory and research ethics permissions and protocols are established and observed.
- Develop and update contracts, agreements, and governing frameworks amongst Hub partners, as needed
Tanzania Hub Project Leadership and Support
- In collaboration with Hub partners, determine appropriate contracting mechanism for each project.
- Work with project leads to ensure that projects are set up for success, including developing clear scopes of work, budgets, and project management structure.
- As time permits, lead or support the design and implementation of (design) research projects in collaboration with research leads and technical advisors, field programs and (design) research partners, , with a time-bound scope of work
- Provide operational advice to project leads and other Hub partners as required and as relevant for project implementation (advise on camp permits, security, transportation options, etc)
- Education: Master’s in development studies, social sciences, or other relevant field, or a Bachelors’ degree with significant field experience
- Work experience: 3-5 years of progressive experience. Field experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in research and innovation in the humanitarian or development sector
- Excellent organizational skills: the ability to multi-task, learn quickly, and work independently and productively in a fast-paced and detail-oriented environment
- Flexible work attitude, proactive and demonstrated creativity: the ability to work productively in a team environment and the ability to problem solve creatively with minimal guidance
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to effectively liaise with and motivate a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment and across various time zones
- Demonstrated success in leading business development opportunities and proposal writing
- Excellent oral and written communications skills (English) required
- Multi-lingual skills advantageous – with priority placed on Swahili
- Experience in working in East Africa is preferred
- Ability to travel to field sites an average of one week per month or two weeks every two months